- This event has passed.
CPG Winter Academy 2017 on Human Rights & Development
16 October - 20 October
From 16 to 20 October 2017, the German-Southeast Asian Center of Excellence for Public Policy and Good Governance (CPG) and the National Human Rights Commission of Thailand (NHRC), with the support of the Hanns Seidel Foundation, organize the CPG Winter Academy on Human Rights & Development at the Faculty of Law of Thammasat University in Bangkok.
The Academy is a one-week intensive course. For the 6th time, it offers lectures, seminars, panel discussions, workshops and debates by internationally recognized scholars, practitioners, and representatives from international and state organizations as well as from non-governmental organizations.
- Kingsley Abbott, Senior International Legal Advisor, Southeast Asia, International Commission of Jurists (ICJ)
- Dr. Tim Aistrope, School of Engineering and Information Technology, Australian Center for Cyber Security, University of New South Wales, Canberra
- Michael Bäk, Advisor to the United Nations Resident Coordinator, Bangkok
- Katrin Bannach, Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom, Bangkok Office
- Golda S. Benjamin, Southeast Asia Researcher and Representative (Philippines), Business and Human Rights Research Center (BHRRC)
- Elodie Beth, Regional Advisor, Governance and Peacebuilding, UNDP Bangkok Regional Hub
- Sirikan “June” Charoensiri, Thai Lawyers for Human Rights
- Mark Daly, Partner, Daly & Associates, Hong Kong
- Bruno Desthieux, Crimes Against Children, Vulnerable Communities, Organized and Emerging Crime Directorate, INTERPOL Liaison for Asia and South Pacific
- Philipp Dupuis, Minister Counsellor, Head, Economic and Trade Section, Delegation of the European Union to Thailand
- Prof. em. Dr. Ingwer Ebsen, Goethe-Universität Frankfurt
- Fadiah Nadwa Fikri, C4 Center, Selangor, Malaysia
- Joseph Fonseca, Special Agent, Southeast Asia Regional Assistant Legal Attaché, Embassy of the United States of America in Bangkok
- Dr. Terry van Gevelt, Assistant Professor, Department of Politics and Public Administration, Hong Kong University
- Henning Glaser, Director, German Southeast Asian Center of Excellence for Public Policy and Good Governance (CPG)
- James Gomez, Regional Director, Amnesty International, Southeast Asia and Pacific Regional Office
- Atty. Jacqueline Ann C. De Guia, Director for Public Affairs and Strategic Communication, Human Rights Commission of the Philippines
- Apichart Hattasin, Crimes Against Children, Vulnerable Communities, Organized and Emerging Crime Directorate, INTERPOL Liaison for Asia and South Pacific
- Dr. Michael Hayes, Institute of Human Rights and Peace Studies, Mahidol University
- Dr. Pasha L. Hsieh, Associate Professor of Law, Singapore Management University School of Law
- Pornpen Khongkachonkiet, Director, Cross Cultural Foundation
- Dr. Naparat Kranrattanasuit, Institute of Human Rights and Peace Studies, Mahidol University
- Katrin Lammers, Junior Advisor, Renewable Energy Project Development Programme in Southeast Asia, GIZ Thailand
- Dr. Jonathan Liljeblad, Senior Lecturer of Law, Swinburne University of Technology
- Dr. Duc Quang Ly, Project Manager, German Southeast Asian Center of Excellence for Public Policy and Good Governance (CPG)
- David Lyman, Partner, Tilleke & Gibbins
- Dr. Carl Middleton, Faculty of Political Science, Chulalongkorn University
- Angkhana Neelapaijit, Commissioner, National Human Rights Commission of Thailand
- Prof. Dr. Niels Petersen, University of Münster
- Sunai Phasuk, Senior Researcher, Human Rights Watch Thailand
- H.E. Kasit Piromya, National Reform Steering Assembly, former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Thailand
- Dr. Jompon Pitaksantayothin, Faculty of Social Science and Humanities, Mahidol University
- Anna Platonova, Senior Programme Manager, International Organization for Migration, Mission in Thailand
- Imesh Pokharel, Team Coordinator, Thailand Country Program, UN Office of the High Commissioner of Human Rights (OHCHR) for South-East Asia
- Gary Risser, Chief, Child Protection Division, UNICEF, Bangkok Office
- Livio Sarandrea, Programme Specialist Rule of Law, UNDP Bangkok Regional Hub
- Dr. Lasse Schuldt, DAAD Lecturer of Law, German Southeast Asian Center of Excellence for Public Policy and Good Governance (CPG)
- Sudarat Sereewat, FACE Foundation Thailand
- Arthit Suriyawongkul, Thai Netizen Network
- Kohnwilai Teppunkoonngam, Thailand Institute of Justice, Project Manager, Transnational Organized Crime
- Andrea Varrella, ECPAT International, Bangkok Office
- Moden Yi, Community Engagement Team Leader, APLE Cambodia
The course is suitable for students, young academics, practitioners and other interested persons who want to enhance their knowledge in the respective fields. The Academy is conducted in English.
Scholars and practitioners will provide theoretical introductions, in-depth practical insights and case studies concerning fundamental questions as well as current issues of human rights and development. Participants of the Academy will gain comprehensive knowledge in national, regional and international perspectives. Moreover, they will acquire skills of critical analysis.
The following topics will be covered:
- Human rights theories
- Institutions and mechanisms of human rights protection
- Migration and refugees
- Child protection
- Human rights in business
- Internet and privacy
- Sustainable development
- Development financing
- Public participation and local government
- Good governance and anti-corruption
- Energy development and environmental justice
Relevant reading and study material to almost all topics covered at the Academy can be found in our Online Reader.
The registration fee is 5,000 THB. The fee covers participation in all academic sessions, a welcome dinner, daily lunch, as well as an attractive cultural and leisure program. Moreover, participants are cordially invited to participate in CPG’s Annual Conference “The Global Commons and the Governance of Unappropriated Spaces” from 20 to 22 October 2017 at the Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel Bangkok.
Participants need to cover the costs for flights and accommodation themselves. However, our CPG staff is happy to assist interested participants to find a suitable accommodation in Bangkok.
The registration has been closed on Monday, 9 October 2017. For more information on this event, please contact Khun Venus via email@example.com.Infographic – Click here!