- This event has passed.
CPG Winter Academy on Human Rights & Development 2018
12 November - 16 November
From 12 to 16 November 2018, the German-Southeast Asian Center of Excellence for Public Policy and Good Governance (CPG), in cooperation with the National Human Rights Commission of Thailand and with the support of the Hanns Seidel Foundation, will host the CPG Winter Academy on Human Rights & Development at the Faculty of Law of Thammasat University in Bangkok.
The Academy is a one-week intensive course. For the 7th time, it offers lectures, seminars, panel discussions, workshops and debates by internationally recognized scholars, practitioners, and representatives from international and state organizations as well as from non-governmental organizations. The Academy covers theoretical introductions, in-depth practical insights and case studies concerning fundamental questions as well as current issues of human rights and development.
The course is suitable for students, young academics, practitioners and other interested persons who want to enhance their knowledge in the respective fields. The Academy is conducted in English. → Previous CPG Winter Academies on Human Rights and Development
Topics: Human rights and development in Southeast Asia; Concept and critique of human rights; National and international mechanisms of human rights protection; Human rights and migration; Children’s rights and exploitation; Political freedoms & human rights lawyering; Business and human rights; Political economy of development; Development and environmental protection; Anti-corruption, compliance and rule of law; Project development and implementation
- Kelsey Atwood, The Asia Foundation, Yangon
- Elodie Beth, Regional Advisor, Governance and Peacebuilding, UNDP Bangkok Regional Hub
- Remy Choo Zheng Xi, Director, Peter Low & Choo LLC, Singapore
- Mark Daly, Partner, Daly, Ho & Associates, Hong Kong
- Joseph Fonseca, FBI Assistant Legal Attaché, Embassy of the United States of America, Bangkok
- Cynthia Gabriel, Executive Director, C4 Center, Selangor, Malaysia
- Assist. Prof. Dr. Terry van Gevelt, Department of Politica and Public Administration, University of Hong Kong
- Henning Glaser, Director, German Southeast Asian Center of Excellence for Public Policy and Good Governance (CPG)
- Maureen Harris, Southeast Asia Program Director, International Rivers, Bangkok
- Apichart Hattasin, former senior Royal Thai Police officer
- Dr. Michael Hayes, Institute of Human Rights and Peace Studies, Mahidol University, Bangkok
- Dr. Jayson S. Lamchek, Post-Doctoral Fellow, Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore
- David Lyman, Partner, Tilleke & Gibbins, Bangkok
- Dr. Carl Middleton, Faculty of Political Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok
- Dr. Jompon Pitaksantayothin, Faculty of Social Science and Humanities, Mahidol University, Bangkok
- Anna Platonova, Senior Programme Manager, International Organization for Migration, Mission in Thailand
- Daniel Polomski, PhD Student, Institute of Human Rights and Peace Studies, Mahidol University, Bangkok
- Prof. ret. Jon S.T. Quah, consultant, retired Professor of Political Science, National University of Singapore
- Dr. Lasse Schuldt, DAAD Lecturer of Law, German Southeast Asian Center of Excellence for Public Policy and Good Governance (CPG)
- Veerawit Tianchainan, Executive Director, The Freedom Story, Thailand
- Prof. Hitoshi Ushijima, Professor of Law, Chuo University, Tokyo
- Andrea Varrella, Legal Programme Associate, ECPAT International, Bangkok
How to participate:
Participation is subject to admission by the Winter Academy selection committee.
Applicants need to send the following application documents to email@example.com (Khun Venus):
- Personal information form (download here; please fill in the Word document)
- Motivation letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Most recent transcript of records
Admission takes place on a rolling basis. Application deadline: 31 October 2018.
Participation fee: 3,000 THB (professionals); 1,500 THB (students). Selected applicants receive an email containing CPG’s bank account details in order to transfer the participation fee. Admission is subject to full payment of the participation fee.
The fee covers participation in all academic sessions, a welcome dinner, daily lunch, as well as an attractive cultural and leisure program. Participants need to cover the costs for flights and accommodation themselves. However, our CPG staff can assist participants to find a suitable accommodation in Bangkok.
Exemption from the participation fee: Applicants who cannot afford to pay the participation fee can apply for exemption by submitting a separate statement substantiating the lack of financial means.
For information about CPG’s events, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org (Khun Venus).