- This event has passed.
Refugee Law & Protection in Thailand
10 September 2019 - 30 October 2019
The German-Southeast Asian Center of Excellence for Public Policy and Good Governance (CPG), the Center for Asylum Protection (CAP), Foundation for Sustainability and Hanns Seidel Foundation host a six-days intensive training course on Refugee Law & Protection in Thailand.
The course is split into three sessions (3 x 2 days) and is conducted on
- 10-11 September,
- 1-2 October, and
- 29-30 October 2019
at the Faculty of Law, Thammasat University (Tha Prachan campus).
This training course offers substantive and practical sessions as well as two field trips. It is conducted partly in Thai and partly in English, and it is suitable for participants who deal with refugee and asylum issues in their professional work or civil society engagement.
Substantive sessions cover:
- Thai and international refugee law
- Refugee status determination
- Registration and nationality law
- Deportation and extradition
- Human trafficking
- Child protection
- Labor rights
- Access to health care, education and housing
The practical sessions address:
- Interviewing techniques
- Working with trauma victims
- Legal aid and ethical issues
Participants will take part in field trips to an immigration detention center and to an urban refugee community center.
Instructors and trainers are representatives from:
- Thai immigration authorities
- UNCHR – the UN Refugee Agency
- International Organization of Migration (IOM)
- United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Faculty of Law/Thammasat University
- Center for Asylum Protection (CAP)
- Asylum Access in Thailand (AAT)
- Human Rights & Development Federation (HRDF)
- Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS)
- Thai Lawyers for Human Rights
The training is free of charge, including lunch. A certificate is provided for participants who attend all six course days.
Registration deadline: 31 August 2019
For questions about this event, please contact Ms. Venus Phuangkom, email@example.com.