- This event has passed.
CPG Academy on “Human Rights”
14 November from 9:00 - 18 November from 17:00
CPG Academy on “Human Rights”
14-18 November 2022, Room 413, Faculty of Law, Thammasat University
the German-Southeast Asian Center of Excellence for Public Policy and Good Governance (CPG), Faculty of Law, Thammasat University
in cooperation with the Asian Governance Foundation (AGF) and the Hanns Seidel Foundation
For 12 years, the German-Southeast Asian Center of Excellence for Public Policy and Good Governance (CPG) has been inviting to its widely known academies and training programs on German Law, including its “Academy on Human Rights”.
After the successful conclusion of the 2022 Online Academy on “Human Rights”, we are now welcoming applications for the 2022 Onsite Academy on “Human Rights”, to be held from 14-18 November 2022 in Bangkok at Thammasat University.
The five-day intensive certificate course is designed for students, recent graduates, activists and young professionals in the field of human rights that are motivated to improve their knowledge and skills.
Contributions by internationally recognized scholars and practitioners provide a bridge between the theoretical and the practical dimensions, with an emphasis upon current issues and cutting-edge developments.
Among others, the topics the Academy will cover, include:
- Fundamentals of Human Rights,
- International Human Rights Regimes and Mechanisms,
- Human Rights Advocacy,
- Human Rights, Business and ‘Modern Slavery’,
- Climate Change and Human Rights,
- Criminal Law, Security, and Human Rights, and
- Human Rights in the Digital Age.
Course Structure and Duration
The Academy will be held on five days, with four to six hours teaching and discussion time each day
- Kasit Piromya, H.E., Board Member, ASEAN Parliamentarians for Human Rights; former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, Thailand
- Angkhana Neelapaijit, President, Justice for Peace Foundation, Thailand
- Henning Glaser, Director, CPG, Faculty of Law, Thammasat University, Thailand
- Shelley Marshall, PhD, Associate Professor, RMIT University, Australia
- Jayson Lamschek, Ph.D, Research Fellow, Faculty of Business and Law, Deakin University, Australia
- Khoo Ying Hooi, PhD, Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Universiti Malaya, Malaysia
- Mike Hayes, PhD, Lecturer, Institute of Human Rights and Peace Studies, Mahidol University, Thailand
- Remy Choo, Founder and Managing Director, Remy Choo Chambers, Singapore
- Salim Bashir, Co-Chairman, Criminal Law Committee, Malaysian Bar Council, Malaysia
- Mark Daly, Principal, Daly & Associates, Hong Kong, China
- Soraj Hongladarom, PhD, Professor, Center for Science, Technology, and Society, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand
- Lasse Schuldt, PhD, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Law, Thammasat University, Thailand
- Morgane Roussel-Hemery, Associate External Relation Officer, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Pacific Multi-Country Office Thailand, Thailand
Side Event Program
The teaching part of the Academy is complemented by a varied side event program that includes
- a guided tour,
- a welcome & farewell dinner, and
- an awarding ceremony
Fees, Scholarship, & Deposit
For the entire program, the organizers provide every selected participant with a scholarship making attendance of the program effectively free.
The scholarship covers the participation of all lectures, all meals served during the program (breakfast breaks, lunch breaks, coffee breaks), a welcome dinner and a farewell dinner.
Transportation and accommodation remain self-funded by the participants.
To avoid misuse of the opportunity and ensure that only those are admitted who intend to duly attend the program, participants are, however, required to pay a deposit of USD 150 which will be returned after due completion of the program.
Venue & Accommodation
The Academy will be organized at the Faculty of Law, Thammasat University at its historical Tha Prachan Campus, located at the old town of Bangkok where it is surrounded by historical sites of notable importance to Thai constitutional memorial culture. In close vicinity are the National Museum, the National Theater, the National Gallery, the Siam Museum, well-known sightseeing spots such as the Grand Palace, the Temple of the Reclining Buddha, the Temple of the Dawn, the famous Khao San Street – the traveler hub of South East Asia, jam-packed with raucous bars and restaurants as well as budget hostels – and the Chao Praya River inviting to nice evening cruises. The underground station Sanam Chai links this part of the city with Bangkok’s vibrant downtown, reachable within 10 minutes.
For participants not residing in Bangkok, CPG provides help and information for the identification and (if requested) booking of nearby B&Bs, guesthouses and hotels.
How to be Part of the Academy
If this program appeals to you, apply to join this year’s 2022 Academy participants who are to be selected among students, recent graduates, activists and young scholar and professionals in the field of human rights and related disciplines and areas.
We invite and accept applications from committed candidates from all around the world with the necessary proficiency in English and the wish to actively participate in the full program in Bangkok.
In order to maintain high teaching standards and to ensure genuine engagement and interaction, we will be able to accept only a limited number of participants.
Applications can only be considered if application documents are rendered completely.
Applications should include:
- a filled online registration form (register at https://s.surveyplanet.com/wqc44t4z)
- a copy of your current curriculum vitae (CV)/resumé;
- a portrait photo (jpeg); and
- a brief statement of approximately 250 words outlining your reasons for wishing to attend the program.
Applications should include:
• a filled online registration form (click here to register)
• a copy of your current curriculum vitae (CV)/resumé;
• a portrait photo (jpeg); and
• a brief statement of approximately 250 words outlining your reasons for wishing to attend the program.
Applications are open and have to be submitted until 7 November 2022. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Successful candidates will be notified within three days after online registration and the submission of application documents.
Hosts & Organizers
The Academy is jointly hosted and organized by the Faculty of Law of Thammasat University, the German-Southeast Asian Center of Excellence for Public Policy and Good Governance (‘CPG’) in cooperation with the Hanns-Seidel Foundation Thailand/Laos.
• German-Southeast Asian Center of Excellence for Public Policy and Good Governance (‘CPG’)
CPG is an academic institute and think tank with a main office at the Faculty of Law of Thammasat University in Bangkok. Built upon a cooperation between the German universities of Frankfurt and Münster, and Thammasat University in Thailand, it is one of only five Centers of Excellence that were established worldwide in 2009 under the Excellence Initiative of the German Federal Government.
CPG is funded by the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Federal Foreign Office) and receives administrative support from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
• Asian Governance Foundation (AGF)
A charitable foundation under Thai law, the Asian Governance Foundation is CPG’s sister organization and its legal arm.
• Hanns-Seidel Foundation
The Hanns Seidel Foundation (HSF) is one of five German political foundations present in Bangkok. Aligned with the Christian Social Union, the political party that runs only in the federal state of Bavaria, the foundation engages in political education in Germany and in development cooperation abroad, running around 100 projects in 65 countries worldwide. The HSF office in Bangkok is responsible for projects in Thailand and Laos.
If you are uncertain about whether the program is suitable for your needs or if you need further background information, please contact Dr. Duc Quang Ly, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all enquiries pertaining the administrative process, please contact the CPG office:
Ms. Venus Phuangkom (Event & HR Manager)
German-Southeast Asian Center of Excellence for Public Policy and Good Governance (CPG)
Faculty of Law, Thammasat University
2 Phrachan Road
Bangkok 10200, Thailand
Tel: +66 (0)2 613 2971
Our Past Academies
All Academies Annual Conference Constitutionalism Europe & Germany Geopolitics & Security Governance & Compliance Human Rights Law & Justice Southeast Asia International Online Academy: International Economic Law Date: 4 - 7 August 2020 (Online...
All Academies Annual Conference Constitutionalism Europe & Germany Geopolitics & Security Governance & Compliance Human Rights Law & Justice Southeast Asia CPG Academy “German Public Law and the Political System of Germany”Date: 15-18 October...
All Academies Annual Conference Constitutionalism Europe & Germany Geopolitics & Security Governance & Compliance Human Rights Law & Justice Southeast Asia Human Rights Training: 'Refugee Law and Protection in Thailand' Date: 11-12 September and 1-2...